Oatly was founded back in the 1990s and is based on Swedish research from Lund University. The company’s patented enzyme technology copies nature’s own process and turns fiber-rich oats into nutritional liquid food that is perfectly designed for humans. Today, Oatly is a global company dedicated to upgrading the lives of individuals and the wellbeing of the planet through a lineup of original oat products.
THE OATLY WAY
Oatly is a company built on the idea of change. Our mission is to help people upgrade their everyday lives and the health of the planet by making sustainable, great-tasting, oat-based food products accessible to a wider audience in a world-class manner. And because health and sustainability are so close to our heart, we are more than just another food company – we are a lifestyle company. Our growth is fast - and accelerating. More and more people choose to switch to a plant-based diet for the sake of their health and the planet. With headquarters in Malmö and production in Sweden, the Netherlands, Singapore and the US, our products are available in almost 30 countries across Europe, North America and Asia.
Oatly’s success is based on strong science knowledge. To continue in this tradition, we have established a research organization dedicated to Food Science. We are based in the Science Park in Lund but work closely with the best scientists in the world.
As a Laboratory Technician in Oat Breeding, you will have a key role in supporting the development of new oat varieties that will be used in Oatsome products with for example improved sensory and nutritional qualities. The Breeding and Genomics team is working with oat diversity panels, applying molecular breeding strategies, and performing a wide range of analytical assays to evaluate oat grain quality. The work is at both the low- and high-throughput levels, and will require technical accuracy/reproducibility and meticulous record keeping and communication skills.
This is a wonderful opportunity for a service minded laboratory technician to get in the game and ensure that we can develop the best oats for our products and the planet! The role is a permanent position and the work will be primarily based at our new laboratories facilities in Lund.
Here’s what you can expect in the day-to-day depending on the season:
- dehulling and milling of oat seeds and performing various biochemical and non-destructive analyses
- growing oat plants and extracting DNA/RNA at low and high throughput
- performing PCR for genotyping purposes
- performing electrophoresis methods such as SDS PAGE
- continuously strive to optimise and miniturise workflows in a cost/time effective manner
- handling and preserving of laboratory samples in a systematic manner
- meeting deadlines and deliverables for the Breeding and Genomics team
- document, archive and present your results and observations with the team
- take responsibility for required inventory and order laboratory materials for the breeding team
- when needed, assist in the greenhouse, field and harvesting/threshing of oat material
This is the job today – but who knows what tomorrow brings? We look forward to hearing what else you can do! Oatly is still growing and so being comfortable with change in a high-paced environment will really help you grow in the role.
WHO YOU ARE
You’ve read about the role and now your imagination is flying at full speed. Here are the qualities we’re looking for, do you recognize them in yourself?
- You have a minimum of 3 years laboratory work experience performing routine analyses, paired with a relevant education in molecular biology, food science, crop science, biochemistry, or a related field.
- You are able to set
up and operate research instrumentation and equipment while having knowledge of health and safety precautions.
- You have knowledge and prior experience of molecular, protein, and carbohydrate methodiologies: other healthy molecules are also of interest.
- You pay attention to detail, have a critical mind, and strong problem solving skills.
- You take pride in the accuracy of your work and enjoy preparing reports, charts, or graphs to communicate your results.
- You contribute to a collaborative atmosphere and have excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- You’re fluent in English, both speaking and writing.
We believe that you prefer to work in a structured way but enjoy an environment of change and fast growth.
COME JOIN US
We welcome people from all backgrounds who see sustainability and health as important values. The position is based in Lund, Sweden.
If you have the curiosity, passion and collaborative spirit, come work with us, and let’s do this together! It will be fun! Please apply at latest on 30th of May 2022.
We look forward to seeing your CV and cover letter written in English.