Oatly was founded back in the 1990s and is based on Swedish research from Lund University. The company’s patented enzyme technology copies nature’s own process and turns fiber-rich oats into nutritional liquid food that is perfectly designed for humans. Today, Oatly is a global company dedicated to upgrading the lives of individuals and the wellbeing of the planet through a lineup of original oat products.
THE OATLY WAY
Oatly is a company built on the idea of change. Our mission is to help people upgrade their everyday lives and the health of the planet by making sustainable, great-tasting, oat-based food products accessible to a wider audience in a world-class manner. And because health and sustainability are so close to our heart, we are more than just another food company – we are a lifestyle company. Our growth is fast - and accelerating. More and more people choose to switch to a plant-based diet for the sake of their health and the planet. With headquarters in Malmö and production in Sweden, the Netherlands, Singapore and the US, our products are available in almost 30 countries across Europe, North America and Asia.
Oatly’s success is based on strong science knowledge. To continue in this tradition, we have established a research organization dedicated to Food Science. We are based in the Science Park in Lund but work in closely with the best scientists in the world.
Grab the opportunity to join Oatly as Head of Protein Science.
You will develop an ambitious programme of research in protein biochemistry and macromolecular sciences. This should include advancing the understanding of protein structure and functionality at the molecular level, their interactions with other components, their behaviour during food processing, and their effects on human health. You will inspire scientists in your team to carry out world class research within a dynamic and collaborative environment.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
You will establish a new group in Protein Science. Working with the Centre’s Vice President and other Group Heads, you will contribute to the long-term strategy in alignment with Oatly’s goals. You will design, lead and drive the Protein Science research programme to deliver a range of scientific and commercial outcomes. You will be aware of the latest scientific developments in the field and will establish collaboration with the best scientists to achieve research goals. You will consider intellectual property protection during all stages of research to deliver innovation goals.
The role is strategic, but you will also have responsibility for operational aspects of your research group, such as initiating and managing projects and resources. You will recruit, mentor and supervise top scientists and foster a supportive and inclusive research culture in line with Oatly’s values.
WHO YOU ARE
You are passionate about improving the health of humans and planet and the role that a balanced diet has a key role to play.
You are an expert in proteins and understand their beauty and complexity. You are curious about protein functionality and seek innovative ways to improve it. You are an established research leader with a demonstrated track record in driving research within an academic or corporate research institution. You have a sharp and creative mind, with an analytical mindset to understand complex situations. You are goal oriented and know how to initiate and implement ambitious research plans.
You are a supportive and inclusive leader who likes to inspire and develop others. You are collaborative and will use your scientific network to seek out the best opportunities to make progress. You are good at adapting to new situations and make the most of every opportunity. You are an excellent communicator, able to explain complex science concepts to a range of audiences.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
To thrive and be happy in this role, we believe that you have the following qualifications and experience:
- PhD and/or postdoctoral training in Protein Biochemistry
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in driving original research in protein biochemistry in an academic or industrial environment.
- Working knowledge of protein biochemistry including protein expression and/or extraction, fractionation, and modification.
- Working knowledge of protein functionality within complex biological systems, including their colloidal properties in the food matrix, and their role in food texture and other sensory properties.
- Working knowledge of analytical techniques for protein analysis, including composition, structure, functionality and biological activity.
- Knowledge of the genomic and post-translational modifications of proteins, and their relationship to protein functionality.
- Knowledge of the nutritional properties of proteins, their metabolism and health effects in humans or model systems.
- Clear track record of research project design, management and delivery.
- Proven track record of research communication through for example peer-reviewed publications.
- Proven track record of scientific leadership including the ability to guide long-term strategic decisions.
- Fluent in English (oral and written).
COME JOIN US
We welcome people from all backgrounds who see sustainability and health as important values. The position is based in Lund, Sweden, but our outlook is global. We are able to offer relocation assistance where appropriate.
If you have the curiosity, passion and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s do this together! It will be fun! Please apply at latest on December 15th, 2021.